Before we get to these Mini Salted Caramel Apple Pies, let’s talk about the greatest season of all: Fall.
I love September like I love January. It’s a chance for new beginnings, new goals, and a renewal of faith in yourself. With Fall comes my favorite things: long walks with warm cups of coffee, a turn towards gratitude and family, and, of course, football season, where I will DESTROY my boyfriend in all our annual sports bets. But here’s the thing, it’s September, and Fall ain’t here! Like not even close. In fact, there’s a freaking heat wave happening in Los Angeles where I’m writing this from.
But I refuse to accept this seasonal fate. That’s why I’m over here in my 90 degree (YES, 90 DEGREE) non-airconditioned kitchen making apple pie. Not just any apple pie, mind you: Mini Salted Caramel Apple Pies. If anything makes me feel like Fall is truly on its way, it’s the sugary/cinnamon-y smell of apple pie! The added caramel in these babies gives it a decadent rich filling, and the sea salt makes all these classic flavors pop.
These mini pies are super fun and so EASY to make too, which is one of the reasons why I use store bought pastry dough. Just enjoy the process of Fall baking without the extra stressors, right? We have enough to stress about these days! #2017
Alright, you can find the full recipe for these Mini Salted Caramel Apple Pies below, but let me walk you through it first.
1. First, roll out your two pieces of dough and use a 3-inch cookie cutter or glass to cut out as many circles as you can (you’ll need an even number).
2. Next, mix your filling ingredients together and place a spoonful of the filling in the center of half of your dough circles. Top the filling with about 4-5 pieces of your chopped caramel. Important: be sure to leave a border of dough so you can seal the pies.
3. Next, take the second half of your dough circles, and place them on top of the ones with the filling. Use a fork to seal them. Use an egg wash on top of the mini pies, and then make two slits with a knife on top of each. Top each with sugar or a small pinch of sea salt.
4. Bake at 425 degrees for about 15 minutes or until the pies are golden brown. Enjoy!
Note: I would use more filling than the photo above shows! Whoops! My bad.
Mini Salted Caramel Apple Pies
Perfect for Fall, these Mini Salted Caramel Apple Pies are so fun (and easy!) to make.
- 2 cups apple peeled and diced (2 medium apples)
- the juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 box Pillsbury pastry dough refrigerated
- 8 pieces store-bought soft caramel candies chopped
- sea salt
- 1 egg for eggwash
Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees
In a mixing bowl, combine the diced apples, lemon juice, cinnamon, and sugar. Mix until all the ingredients are incorporated.
On a floured surface, roll out the dough. With a 3-inch cookie cutter or glass, cut out as many circles as possible. Combine the dough scraps and roll out again to get four more circles.
Take a spoonful of your pie mixture and place it in the center of half of the dough circles.Top the filling with about 4-5 pieces of your chopped caramel and a pinch of sea salt. IMPORTANT: Leave a border of dough so you can seal the pies.
Place the other half of the dough circles on top of all the ones with the pie filling. Use a fork to seal each mini pie.
Paint all the pies with your eggwash.
Use a sharp knife to make two slits on top of each pie. Place pies on a greased (I use spray) baking sheet.
Sprinkle the top of each pie with a pinch of sugar or sea salt (or both!)
Bake for about 15-minutes, or until golden brown.
If you liked the Mini Salted Caramel Apple Pies, you’ll love these Pizza Roses! They’re just as cute and every bit as delicious.